Thursday, November 22, 2012

DIY Skin Miracle Worker: Nutmeg and Honey Mask

Hey Lovies! As y'all all know, I am the DIY Queen! I am ALWAYS trying to make something; whether it's coasters, a wreath, a cardigan, a tutu, or some baking/cooking concoction I'm just ALWAYS up to something. With that being said, it should be no surprise to any of you that I have come up with a skin soother/acne scar reducer. Now I will say that I did not come up with this one on my own, I have actually been searching high and low for a natural product to help me with some skin discoloration on my jawline. After much Googling, I found something I think might work and lucky for all of us we probably have a lot of the ingredients right in our kitchen. What's the miracle concoction you may ask? Well, it's nutmeg and honey! Yes, I said nutmeg and honey! These two products mixed together are a powerful combination! Honey and nutmeg both have curative properties that help reduce swelling, infection and assist with the regeneration of skin. In layman's terms, what that means for all of us is we can have smoother, less obvious acne marks at a fraction of the cost we'd normally pay for treatments at the spa.

Below I have provided the science behind each ingredient and the recipe for making the mask:

Honey:

Honey is widely demonstrated to have antibacterial properties, with some being sold as therapeutic agents (Journal of Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing).

Heals skin from wounds.

When applied to acne spots, honey may stop swelling by killing infection.

Heals scars more quickly and smoothly.

Nutmeg:

Journal of Natural Products states that mace, a substance found in nutmeg "exhibits strong antifungal and antibacterial activities."

Like honey, nutmeg can reduce infection and swelling around clogged pores, resulting in smaller spots and smoother scars.

The Recipe:

Combine 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg and 1 tablespoon of honey. Gently apply the concoction to the entire face or the affected area. Whatever you do, do not rub the concoction into skin as it could cause irritation. Leave the concoction on your skin for at least thirty minutes and then rinse with warm water. After rinsing, apply moisturizer as normal.

Extras: To increase the potency, you may add a little cinnamon to the mixture. The cinnamon adds to the astringent and antifungal effect, while increasing the exfoliation potential.

So lovies, there you have it, the DIY Skin Miracle Worker. Give it a whirl and let me know how it works out for you by commenting below.

Ciao and see ya at the TOP!
xoxo