Wednesday, October 12, 2011

You're Still The ONE...ALL Hail Queen Bey...

Okay lovies, y'all know I LOVE me some Beyonce...She's from my home state, TEXAS (the best place on earth, by the way)...she jumped her career off by occasional performances on the steps and stages of MY university, TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (the BEST university in the whole wide world) and she absolutely, positively FABULOUS!

Sooo in true crazed Beyonce fan fashion I was ecstatic when her latest single, Countdown, video debuted on BET. Since I don't have cable ( I am on a cable fast because I was watching too much junk...think Basketball Wives, Housewives of whatever the most current city they're filming, and a bunch of other stuff) I had to catch the video on YouTube and as always I was so happy. Something about that Texas girl just makes me so proud and feel like I can take on the world. So needless to say I was instantly inspired by the many looks she took on in the video...absolute FAVE was the mod, Twiggy inspired look. Loved it so much I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to remake the look (thanks for a great tutorial BeatFaceHoney) and then tried it myself. I have yet to make a YouTube video, but I jotted down the steps I took to recreate the look and here they are for you to try.

I'm going to be teaching this look to my students tonight, I hope they're up for the challenge. I plan on posting my pics and theirs in the coming weeks. If you try this look out, shoot me an email or a FB message and let me see your work. You too could be featured on the blog.

See ya at the TOP, lovies!

Ciao!
xoxo

Countdown Recreation:

First things first, define your brow. In the video Beyonce doesn't have a really heavy harsh brow, but it's definitely DEFINED. To define your brow you can use an eyebrow pencil or you may use brow powder, an angled brush and concealer.

After you've defined your brow, you want to prep your lid with an eyeshadow primer. If you don't have an eyeshadow primer you may use a neutral colored concealer. The use of eyeshadow primer or concealer gives the eyeshadow a good base. A good base will allow your eyeshadow to do 2 things: 1. It allows the color to actually stick to the lid and 2. When the color sticks it POPS! Poppin eyeshadow is ESSENTIAL when creating this look.

Next, take your eyeshadow brush and put it into the shadow color of your choice. You can use any color you like, but since we're trying to recreate The Queen's look we're going to use a yellow color. When you're applying the shadow you want to use a 'patting' stroke. Patting the color onto your lid will allow a more even and intense distribution of color. Tip: Remember, you only want to distribute the color on the lower part of your lid, right below the crease.

Once you've patted on the yellow color, take a different brush and distribute a neutral color from the crease of your eyelid to the upper brow area. Make sure this neutral color is blended softly. The use of the neutral color just above the crease reduces the likelihood of harsh color lines.

Now here comes the hard part. Take a black eyeliner and draw a line across the crease of your eye.
Tip: Take a small angled brush and dip it into black eyeliner to soften the line that was drawn with the black eyeliner.

The line on the crease must be drawn from the inner part of the eye to the outer part of the eye. When you get to the outer part of the eye you want to extend the line to create a more cat eye look.
Tip: Keep the line on the crease relatively thin on the inner part and let it become thicker as you extend to the outer eye.

Creating the cat eye, winged look with dark liner can really close the eyes off if you're not careful. To prevent complete closing of the eye, take a light colored eyeliner (white or neutral color) and line the waterline of the eye to open up the eyes.
Now that you've opened up the eyes with the light color in the waterline you need to fill in the empty wing space with a white eyeliner. You can use either liquid or pencil. I liked using a liquid liner because it gave a more sharp look, but really, the choice is yours.

After you draw in the white line on the outer part of the eyes, take some time to blend in the spots that you may have missed. Once the re-blend is complete finish your look with mascara or if you're in a daring mood add some lashes and call it good.

The final step in re-creating this look is your lips. The lips are an easy fix...take a neutral colored pink, put it on the lips and you're good to go!

Enjoy!

Check out the video...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the COLORBLOCKING
in this video...
GO ON, BEY!