Monday, July 5, 2010

Who is KE Photography

7:56:29 p.m.:

Keshia: Hey girl, I’ll be there in 10 mins.

No reply from the fashionably late diva fashionista…well, I replied but it was at around 8:23 p.m. after another phone call and a text that read, “I’m here.” Clearly, I’ve got to work on my timeliness, but as I always say, ‘I’m a work in progress and some day I will be on time!” Once again, I was lucky Keshia was a tad hungry and needed to run down the street to grab a sandwich. Her hunger allowed me time to get into my house, clean up a little (the house is a wreck) and pull out a bottle of wine for us to pop on the patio.

Keshia arrives about ten minutes after I’ve blown threw my house like a tornado trying to straighten things up. Keshia stands five feet even (a tiny diva fashionistas) and has the most pleasant demeanor of anyone I’ve ever met. As soon as I open the door she says, “Hello!” and immediately starts praising my trashed apartment. I quickly divert her attention from the trash haven I call an apartment by offering her a glass of wine and shuffling her out to the patio so we can get to work.

Keshia, a 24 year old Wichita native and graduate of Wichita State University, is an up and coming free lance photographer. She just ventured into the photography world, but you can’t tell. Keshia has an incredible ability to catch the most amazing angles and make something out of nothing. It’s very hard to believe that she is just an amateur. With skills like this, you’d think Keshia would be a jerky, aloof photographer, but that’s clearly not the case. She’s the most humble and appreciative photographer I’ve met in a while and I’m so excited to work with her on projects in the near future.
So after a couple of sips of wine and a browse through Keshia’s portfolio on her Macbook we got down to business. Got down to who Keshia Ezerendu really is.


PFP: Okay so you were born in Wichita, but your parents are from where?
KE: Yeah, I was born in Wichita, but my parents are from Nigeria.

PFP: Cool…so how did you get into photography?
KE: Well, as a communications major at WSU I did a little photography work and I got interested, but it wasn’t until about 2 years ago that I really got into it. Unfortunately, I was a college student and didn’t have the money to buy a good camera, so I just kind of let it fall to the wayside. When I got a job, I was able to buy a camera and now I’m able to take it a little more serious.


PFP: So your name is Keshia Ezerendu, does you photography business have a name?
KE: No, not yet…it’s something I’ve been thinking about lately


(Here’s where I throw in my ‘creative’ ‘genius’)


PFP: What about using your initials KE and calling it KE (pronounced key) Photography, then you can use a key as your logo. Good idea?
KE: Good idea, I like that.


(I think the business name was born here…whoop! whoop!)


PFP: There are a lot of freelance photographers out there, what sets you apart from the rest?
KE: Well, I’m new to the game, but I have noticed that a lot of photographers like to use a lot of digital enhancements. That’s all fine and good, but I’m more interested in shooting naturally…I guess you could say I’m a classic photographer…I like to catch people really looking like themselves. I also take a lot of pride in my work…if it looks bad, I’m not going to put it out, I’ll find something that looks better.


PFP: What or who is your major inspiration?
KE: One of my really good friends, Cherie (shout out to Cherie O) is the one that encouraged me to pursue photography. If it weren’t for her, I’d probably still just be talking about becoming a photographer.


PFP: Well Keshia, thank you so much for allowing me to take up your time this evening and I’m so excited to work with you this weekend and in the near future!
KE: Not a problem. I’m so excited.


Keshia doesn’t have her website up and running just yet, but it’s coming soon. For photoshoot opportunities, hit Keshia up on Facebook, Keshia Ezerendu or you can reach her via email at keshia.ezerendu@gmail.com


Ciao!